Latino-Review — The Latin Perspective on Movies and Pop Culture

EXCLUSIVE: The Real Reason For 'Bourne 5' Delay? Matt Damon Is BACK!

– by El Mayimbe

Now I know what you're thinking, not this rumor again? Honestly, that is the first reaction I had since rumors of Matt Damon playing Jason Bourne have persisted for years since the end of The Bourne Ultimatum, and each time a strong denial. The outlet that tried to crack this rumor last year got shot down in the Hollywood trades.

It is no secret that Matt Damon is on the record saying he wouldn't do Bourne again if Paul Greengrass wasn't the director. Just last month he told CNBC the following:

I've always been open to it if Paul Greengrass is the director. We've just never been able to come up with a story. So if any of your viewers have a story, please call Universal and submit it. It felt like such a good way to end it the last time... But having said that, I love that character and I'd love to see what happened to him.

Well clearly, times have changed. According to a deeply embedded trusted source, the reason Bourne 5 got pushed to July 15, 2016 is because Matt Damon is in fact back to play his signature role as Jason Bourne for director Justin Lin!

Yesterday Hollywood Reporter reported the following concerning the Bourne 5 move:

According to insiders, the move was made so that the August 2014 date could be used for Straight Outta Compton, the upcoming film about the rise and fall of gangsta rap pioneers N.W.A.

Folks, from experience that was misdirection, a power move right from the publicists' playbook. Hollywood is a town that excels at misdirection and especially deflection. Look at the most recent example of how Jason Momoa has denied he is playing Aquaman and with some strong reporting from a trusted outlet last weekend and a Jimmy Kimmel appearance, he is now changing his story.

Also think about the following, the last Bourne movie (The Bourne Legacy) made $276 million worldwide at the box office. So why is the studio slotting Bourne 5 against Ice Age 5 whose last entry made $877 million?! Does that make any sense? Universal must have a serious ace card up its sleeve. You know what that ace card is?

Matt fucking Damon.

I don't know how Justin Lin convinced Damon to come back to Bourne or why Damon changed his mind but I'm sure we will get to know why in the months to come. I'm sure they found a story they both liked. My source believes that Damon recent misfires at the box office has a lot to do with it as well.

Now with all due respect to Bourne's legendary producer Frank Marshall who is vocal and active on twitter, especially when it comes to debunking scoops, instead of denying my story I have a proposition. I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is and place a friendly bet with him that come July 15, 2016 we will see Matt Damon as Jason Bourne once again. 

I not only have the testicular fortitude to stand by both this story and my source (who I have worked with for close to a decade and has yet to be wrong once), but willing to bet the house because that is the type of gambler that I am. I believe a source who never had a reason to bullshit me over the studio publicity machine any day of the week.

A word to the wise, the house always wins, especially this house.

Announcement, Casting, Exclusive, Movie, Release Date, Uncategorized Matt Damon, Jason Bourne, The Bourne LEgacy, Frank MArshall, Universal

Copyrights and trademarks for the film and related entertainment properties mentioned herein are held by their respective owners and are used with permission or solely for the promotional purposes of said properties.

All other text and images copyright 2000-2014 LatinoReview LLC.

Piracy Policy | Links monetized by VigLink | Custom Code and Design by, Robot Victory